Higher Lyfe: After Mike Posner’s show in San Francisco on his Unplugged Tour, we asked him 16 questions pertaining to this upcoming year, collaborations (*cough* Avicii, Diplo, Pharrell, 2 Chainz *cough*), his typical weekday, and more!
1. Higher Lyfe: What plans do you have for this year?
Mike: My sophomore album Pages is coming soon. I have several songs I’ve written for other artists slated to be release soon. There are also some new acts I am developing.
2. Higher Lyfe: Any secrets or hints that you can let us in on?
Mike: There is a chance that there could be a NEW Mike Posner Mixtape in the coming months. I’ve also been in the studio a lot with Avicii working on his new album.
3. Higher Lyfe: If you were to be an animal, what would you be…and why?
Mike: White Tiger! They are rare, powerful… and white ha ha.
4. Higher Lyfe: Are there any collaborations this coming year that we should watch out for?
Mike: Yes, I’ve been in the studio with Avicii, Justin Bieber, Labrinth, Diplo, 2 Chainz, Vic Mensa, Pharrell, that’s all I can think of off the top of my head.
5. Higher Lyfe: Right at this moment, who would be someone you would love to collaborate with and why?
Mike: John Mayer. Songwriter to songwriter, he’s one of the best. And obviously, he’s an out of this world guitarist.
6. Higher Lyfe: What do you hope to accomplish this coming year?
Mike: Give the people the best music I’m capable of.
7. Higher Lyfe: Can you write a song anywhere? Where do you get your inspiration?
Mike: Yes. It’s more the state of mind that I’m in than my surroundings that allow me to be inspired.
8. Higher Lyfe: Where do you work best? Home, on-the-go, planes, buses, coffee shops?
Mike: It honestly can be anywhere as long as I’m not engaged in a conversation.
9. Higher Lyfe: What do you feel has been your favorite song recently that you have worked on or recorded?
Mike: The best song I’ve had released is a song I did with Labrinth and Emeli Sandé called “Beneath Your Beautiful.” I think Labrinth and I have a few songs that are as good as that for his new album so I’m excited to see released. I’ve also developed a new style for my new music in which I’ve written several songs that I feel are among the best of my career. The thing about songwriters is we are always most proud of our latest work. So time will tell if it’s as good as I think it is.
10. Higher Lyfe: What advice do you have for those looking to enter the music industry?
Mike: Don’t worry about anything but your music.
11. Higher Lyfe: Are all concerts the same? Do you ever get bored?
Mike: People come to see me sing my songs, that will never get boring to me! I’m can’t believe it when I’m on stage. Also, we only have a loose setlist. I add or subtract songs all the time depending on the vibe I’m in or the audience.
12. Higher Lyfe: Has there ever been a time where you thought that you didn’t want to do this anymore and how did you overcome that knowing that this was your passion? Do you ever get a creative block?
Mike: Yes, I’ve considered quitting being an artist before and just writing songs for other people. I found myself writing songs that I felt only I could perform and so here I am with a new album 🙂 . I don’t really get creative blocks. This is probably because I don’t ever try to write. When it comes, it just sort of comes. I don’t feel like I’m doing anything.
13. Higher Lyfe: What’s a typical day in your life?
Mike: This [is] a typical weekday:
7 am – Wake up
7:15 – Dance
8 – Meditate
8:30 – Eat Breakfast
9 – Play Guitar
- Stretch/Finger exercise try to get down to 5 min, 73-75 bpm
- Open string circle, 2 open, 3 with chords 5min
- Hammer ons and pull offs
- Pentatonic in E minor up and down 5 min
- Reverse Pentatonic in G minor up and down 5 min
- Hammer ons and pull offs with the stretch out on one extra fret 5 min
- Groove work on “Ibiza”, 15 min
9:45 – Practice Piano
- “Buried In Detroit”
- “Prelude in C”
10:30 – Sing Scales, Hallelujah, Smokey (1)
11:15 – Finish “Got Dat”, Align and Reverb
12 pm – Meditate
12:30 – Eat Lunch
1 – Phone Interview
2 – Studio
6 – Dinner
7 – Studio
10 – Free Time, New Ideas
10:30 – Read
11 – Asleep
14. Higher Lyfe: What’s your favorite word?
Mike: I have 3! Relate. Love. Inspire.
15. Higher Lyfe: Do you ever feel that you have trouble sticking to who you are, to your roots, when you are constantly in the spotlight?
Mike: I don’t believe in sticking to an old version of yourself. I’m consciously trying to improve. Quincy Jones (one of my heroes and probably the greatest producer of all time) said that he would be offended if he saw someone that he hadn’t seen for years and they said he “hadn’t changed a bit.” I’m the same way.
16. Higher Lyfe: Because you are on the road so much, do you ever feel lost?
Mike: I feel blessed that I get to travel the world and eat the food and make new friends. I live in California so sometimes I miss the weather there but overall I would feel really ungrateful to complain about my life. It’s pretty unbelievable that I get to do this. I thank whoever or whatever puts these songs in my head and in my notebook and my friends and family for believing in me.